John Tucker, the Director of Claims Management at Kaplan Lawyers PC, said that McGregor might not be the only party who could be held liable for injuries suffered in the incident.

NEW YORK, NY,  — In the wake of a highly-publicized melee in New York City involving arguably the world’s most famous mixed martial artist, a media blitz now centers around the criminal consequences for the incident’s primary instigator, former UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor.

However, John Tucker of New York law firm Kaplan Lawyers PC said that there are several potential civil cases that could stem from the injuries suffered in the incident.

“From a legal perspective, the most interesting implication of the McGregor case relates to personal injuries and negligent security,” Tucker said. “At least two fighters were injured in Thursday’s fracas, both of whom were scheduled to fight on Saturday evening.”

Michael Chiesa was taken to the hospital for treatment of a facial laceration, while flyweight Ray Borg suffered corneal abrasions. Both fighters were deemed unfit to fight.

In total, three fights scheduled for UFC 223 have been canceled because of the incident. The third fight pulled from the card was set to feature Artem Lobov, a friend of McGregor who reportedly also took part in the incident.

It is unclear whether others present during the incident might have suffered injuries, too.

“At this point, you have injured people that are taking a financial blow because of McGregor’s actions,” Tucker said. “That is an important element in personal injury lawsuits. The other factor to consider is the fact that McGregor and his associates were somehow allowed into the Barclays Center, which opens up the question of negligent security.”

Members of The Mac Life, McGregor’s media organization, were credentialed for and present at the event. The media team reportedly let McGregor and his people into the building, according to UFC president Dana White.

“You have at least three parties that could potentially be held liable for injuries in the incident,” Tucker said. “First, McGregor and his crew directly caused these injuries. Second, the Mac Life team reportedly let them in the building. Third, the Barclays Center security team failed to keep them from entering the premises.”

“The fundamental question attorneys ask in negligent security cases is, was there any expectation of safety for the injured parties?” Tucker said. “If the answer is yes, then you have a major potential for an injury claim.”

After hurling a hand dolly at a bus containing several passengers at the Barclays Center on Thursday night, McGregor turned himself in to the New York Police Department. He was arrested and charged with three counts of misdemeanor assault and one count of felony criminal mischief for the incident that occurred at a media event promoting UFC 223.

McGregor was stripped of the UFC lightweight champion belt earlier this week. However, White said McGregor was motivated by a feud between his camp and the camp of Khabib Nurmagomedov, a Russian fighter scheduled to fight on the main card to determine the heir to McGregor’s lightweight champion status.

To learn more about the Kaplan Lawyers’ perspective on the legal implications of the Conor McGregor incident, check out their blog.

About Kaplan Lawyers PC
The attorneys at Kaplan Lawyers PC help clients in legal matters ranging from personal injury claims to workers’ compensation disputes. They have locations in New York City, Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County and Suffolk County. Visit the Kaplan Lawyers PC website to learn more.